Health is wealth, at the same time it’s most neglected of all. How often do we say to ourself- will start walking from tomorrow, eat healthier food next time, start living a more disciplined life? Even in our thoughts, everything we leave for tomorrow- the tomorrow that never comes! We DO NOT take care of ourselves enough, especially women, who IGNORE themselves above everything else.
Always treat tomorrow as yesterday and today as an opportunity to live for ourselves before anyone else, self-love is the most important love of all, embrace it!
Now you’ll think why I am mentioning these all, it’s because about 30% of Indians suffer from thyroid disorders. Thyroid can affect anyone, including you and me, as one in every ten Indian adults suffer from Thyroid Disorder.
Before we start, what is Thyroid?
The thyroid gland is important to produce thyroid hormones. The thyroid gland is located in the front of the neck, below the Adam’s apple. Thyroid glands produce hormones that direct calorie consumption, oxygen usage, digestion, the brain and neuromuscular function. Isn’t it an incredibly powerful gland?
For more information, please visit http://thyroidindia.com/thyroweight/
No concept, disease, problem, progress ever happened in India without having myths and misconceptions. So before going ahead, here are the top 7 facts about Thyroid; that one should know about.
- Women are more prone to thyroid issues than men, so can we please take care of ourselves a little more, and be a little selfish here?
- We are more prone to thyroid disorder as we age, with age comes responsibility, the responsibility to look after ourselves and not to ignore our needs/symptoms. Can we do it?
- There are so many disorders, why bother about Thyroid? It’s important as it secretes three important hormones—thyroxine (T4), triiodothyronine (T3), and calcitonin. Which are responsible for our overall metabolism, which in turn affect almost every cell in our body. Still want to ignore this?
- Iodine is essential to form both T3 and T4. It’s always recommended to have Iodized salt, as populations around the globe with iodine-deficient soils are known to have thyroid issues.
- Stress is a major factor that adversely affects the thyroid, let’s not stress about things we can’t control, things that aren’t that big or important that we make them. Can we?
- Thyroid disorders run in families like diabetes, it’s always better to know your family medical history and change your lifestyle accordingly. After all, precaution is better than cure.
- People suffering from Thyroid disorder are not abnormal; they can live a healthy, active life with regular medication and by following a healthy lifestyle. Do not treat them differently.
Normal weight gain or thyroweight?
We as humans tend to attribute bodily changes to our lifestyle. It’s time we take a command of small changes and give ourselves the importance it deserves, like a small gain in weight can be perfectly normal, but why take a chance?
Thyroweight is weight gain with tiredness and fatigue and can be confused with weight gain for lifestyle changes. Hence let’s be proactive and just as a regular health check-up, get ourselves checked for thyroid disorder if we experience a minor weight gain. Early detection will always help to prevent or manage Thyroweight better.
Some common symptoms that can indicate thyroid disorder is weight gain, tiredness and being more lethargic than you used to be. Do not ignore any sudden changes as these could be real symptoms for thyroid disorder- it takes only one test to be sure.
Juhi Chawla, whose Husband and Father in Law both suffer from Thyroid disorder, mentions, that nothing has changed, her Husband is as energetic and adventurous as before. Thyroid disorder hasn’t changed his love and passion for travelling, trekking and being close to nature. One pill a day and his family lives a perfect happy and normal life. So why to be scared?
My family friend is suffering from Thyroid Disorder since she was 22, who is now in her late 40’s with 3 beautiful daughters and a loving husband. It only takes a pill every morning to keep the disorder at bay. She is living beautiful life, conquering her dreams and has truly been an inspiration to me and many others.
Identify Thyroweight early, if you have it to live a healthy and beautiful life. Life is short, live it to the fullest!
Remember, if detected, it’s all about a small pill a day that will keep the Thyroid disorder at Bay.
Disclaimer: I attended a discussion on thyroid awareness facilitated by Abbott India Limited. Any opinion expressed in this blog is my personal opinion and not the opinion of Abbott India Limited. Abbott India Limited does not assume any liability for the content of the blog. The blog post is not meant to be a replacement for a doctor consultation, nor is it a medical recommendation or prescription of treatment for people having thyroid problems. Any reader of this blog suffering from thyroid problems should specifically consult his/her doctor for the same and follow the suggested course of treatment.’